Tuesday, November 23, 2010

You're A Mark.... No, You're An Idiot!.. A Mark, I Say!.. Clearly, He's An Idiot!



No! Not That Mark, You Idiot....


I was listening to a podcast recently with Larry Goodman and Trent Van Drisse on it, when Trent brought up a point that I think holds A LOT of validity and should be examined…..

The point Trent made, which was glossed over and not really touched on, was the fact that wrestling fans, in general, are looked at as idiots and the scum of the earth, by both the general public and by the wrestlers who they support….

It’s truly the strangest phenomenon I’ve ever encountered….

I’ll just give you my personal experience, as I can only truly speak for what has happened to me, when it comes to being a wrestling fan….

Whenever I tell people that I’m a wrestling fan, in general conversation, they look at me like I just got through telling them that I sacrifice baby kittens to the Dark Lord himself and follow the Book of Beelzebub to the red letter of Ol' Scratch himself …..

And, trust me, that’s not an over exaggeration….

I have really close friends, that consistently make fun of me for my love of this sport/athletic event, that I love dearly…. I’m routinely referred to as an idiot, a moron, white trash, redneck and retarded…. And, usually they’ll wind up saying something like ‘ you do know it’s fake, right?! How can you support something that’s overly fake? ‘ …. To that, I just shake my head, find a paper from when The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and hand it to them going ‘ did you see THIS breaking news?! ‘ …..

I go to WWE PPV’s at Hooters, every month, when I’m not inclined to buy one, to watch it there and to enjoy the talent walking around and the beer… But, talking to Hooters waitresses, they despise those nights, because it brings out the sewer people and the people who crawl out from their shanties once a month to go indulge in some ‘ rasslin ‘ and ‘ good eatin ‘ …. I get their disdain, because these people generally will treat you like shit and then think they’re doing you a favor by leaving you a five dollar tip on a sixty dollar tab…. However, I’ve gone to Hooters on Sunday Nights sans Wrestling and it’s a ghost town…. Double Edged Sword….

But, it seems no matter where we, as wrestling fans, turn, we are looked on with disdain and contempt….

My friends, while being good people and smart, really miss the boat when it comes to why I love wrestling and their arguments are all weak and invalid…. I’ll break it down simply…

Their argument of ‘ it’s stupid, it’s fake, how can you support anything that’s fake!!!!!!!! ‘, just shows a general lack of knowledge and forethought….

I will give them the fact that wrestling is ‘ Scripted ‘ , not ‘ Fake ‘, but to a layman outside of the fandom, I can understand their mixup of terms…. However, the fact that they’re shocked and appalled by the fact that I’m entertained by something ‘ fake ‘ and that I can get behind something ‘ fake ‘ . is laughable….

Using their illogical argument, then they should never watch another TV show, read another book or go to the movies…..

They should furthermore never play another video game or board game, adore Pam Anderson’s tits or touch themselves to the thought of Jacob banging them as a Vampire Sparkling as he splooges all over you....

ATTENTION BRAINIACS!!!!!!!! Most of the things you enjoy for entertainment purposes are FAKE or SCRIPTED….. So, why judge me and others for enjoying another medium of the FAKE and SCRIPTED for entertainment purposes?!

Do you see this point?! Because, it’s pretty clear….

To close this point out, to show you the types of hypocrites and entertainment bigots I deal with when it comes to my love for wrestling, I’ll introduce a good friend of mine….

When I told her about my love for wrestling, she recoiled like I just told her I have to drink the blood of dolphins and unicorns to maintain my good looks….

‘ I can’t support that stuff at all, I just can’t do violence, fake or not ‘ …..

She then informs me later in the conversation she’s trying out for a spot on the Roller Derby team in town….

‘ Hello pot… kettle’s on line 2, say’s he wants to tell you something about being black ?! ‘

I hate that people who don’t follow wrestling just think it’s stupid event where two guys ‘ fake ‘ fight each other….

A LOT of smart people are involved in wrestling…. From the owners, to the writers, to the production staff, to the executives and talent…. And, for better or worse, The WWE hires established Hollywood writers to write their scripts and storyline arcs, with a lot of thought and hard work and countless hours discussing and putting together storylines and their development and outcome… It’s just not them going “ here, you hate this dude, he hates you, fight or something! “ …..

Please, if you have friends in this category, try to make them see the light…. It’s hard…. But, it’s simple at the same time, for anyone with any decent amount of brain power to realize….


Now... Moving On....


Then we have the wrestlers aspect of it all….

They look at the fans as mindless and clueless rubes who should count their blessings to be graced by their presence in the ring….

They call us ‘ marks ‘ or ‘ smarks ‘ , derogatory terms, meant to belittle us as fans….

And it just makes me chuckle…. Because, without us ‘ rubes ‘ or ‘ marks ‘ , there wouldn’t be an arena for you to show up to, to put on a match…. Without us, you wouldn’t have the little envelopes that get handed to you after a show…. Without us, you’d have no profession…. Without us, you’d have no one to feed your ego and make you feel better about yourself…. Without us, you wouldn’t get that feeling of being in a ring and craving that feeling every week….

As much as you go through in the ring and the damage and pain you put your body through, what we as fans go through, could never compare…. However, the next time you just throw a blanket generalization over us all as a group, understand, there’s a lot of us that love this form of sports entertainment and choose it as our medium to escape into, away from real life… And, try to understand that not only do we take a lot of shit from the people we look up to and pay money to see, but we take ten times that amount of shit, from the outside world, supporting the sport we love….

It would be real easy for us all to be like ‘ you’re right, following this sport is childish and immature and it’s all fake and retarded ‘ , but we don’t… We keep following it, loving it and whether it’s good or bad, we talk about it…. And, with the way the industry is going, you need to do everything in your power to keep us and cultivate us and try to get us to multiply….

Just yesterday on Facebook alone, there were several different posts by a close friend of mine, with pictures of me at Hooters during ‘ Survivor Series ‘ , comments between him and others about what a ‘ redneck ‘ and what ‘ white trash ‘ I, and others, were for watching the PPV….

It got to me, I’ll admit…. Because, we, as fans, take it from both ends.... The general public sticks it in our mouth and the Wrestlers stick it up our asses.....

And, I guess what gets to me the most is that, yes….. There are a ton of the stereotypical and oft ridiculed portion of the Wrestling fans that come out and watch Wrestling…. But, at the same time, I know a lot of people who love Wrestling that are smart, well spoken, college educated and normal, functioning and thriving members of society….

I will continue to support wrestling, no matter how much I sound like a battered and abused housewife…. It’s what I love and have always loved…. I can’t help that…. Just as a wrestler has, what they describe, as a sickness, for wrestling…. I, and others, have a sickness for it as well…. No matter how bad the wrestling industry and the people involved in it treat us, we come back…. No matter how I’m regarded as a ‘ simpleton ‘ or ‘ white trash ‘ or ‘ redneck ‘ among friends, because I love wrestling, I come back….

And, I’m coming back, with this…. I hope this made some sense, considering it’s 1 a.m. and I’ve had about 8 blue moons….

- love me, hate me, wanna make babies with me? Email me…. Thebro1869@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. I run into the same problems. I wish I could collect my thoughts as well as you do to argue with them these points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's funny is the local yokel rasslers who act like we are marks. The guys who work at McDonalds during the week, never lift a weight, and have the IQ in single digits who think they are one step away from the WWE....they are the ones I get a kick out of thinking they are "in the biz" and we wish we could do what they do. Those are the idiots I despise the most.

    Our local indies kill their crowd with this mentality. Most people won't keep going to a show where they are treated like dirt, and most indies do treat the fans like dirt. They think everyone is Chicken Hat.

    They won't ever draw huge crowds again, but they could draw some 20 to 30 somethings if they would try a very strange concept in wrestling.....customer service and respect.

    But, no, they would rather feed their puny ego thinking they are getting over the "marks."

    About the only exception is Tony Falk. But, he's lost a lot of steam with the same card week in and week out along with the quality of the wrestlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad about Falk. He had the right idea, but has run it into the ground... I could save his show, but I'm just a ' mark ' , haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent excellent piece bro. i dothink theres some validity to the thought that wrestlers are marks themselves and hate what they truly are underneath it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent article. You hit the proverbial nail on the head, Bro.

    ReplyDelete